Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Last SRSS Blogaroo of 2010... December 22 Re-cap and the usual diversions and rah rah propaganda

Speaking of smiley faced... King Dinosaur had a good analogy to watching the Legion of Flying Monkeys Horn Orchestra... He laid it down as smiley face/sad face that keeps flipping every few minutes. Apparently and older English gentleman was standing beside KD taking in the show for about five minutes and then turned shook his head said "Utterly regrettable, absolutely terrible!" and then walked out the door and around the same time a local music journalist was telling me "I love these guys, this is insane". It all has to do with perspective. For sure a little horn jam goes a long way, but then again so few bands have anything relevant to say, some bands can play, and some bands play. I like the LFM horn orchestra... I like the concept, the words to the songs and the grand spirit in which they are presented. I like the interaction, the freedom, the art in the horns, the fact that old English "proper" folk are irritated by it and the fact that there are their are no horns playing with me anymore.



then they did a Christmas song:



For the 21 Tandem Repeats representation I grabbed Steve (drummer for LFM) and JLS (sound man)... and we laid down a set which I thought went pretty good. Reminds me of an interesting point and so why not a digression? Lucky or not? Am I lucky? I feel very fortunate to play with great people such as Steve and JLS. Let's research the word Lucky.

luck·y (lk)
adj. luck·i·er, luck·i·est
1. Having or attended by good luck. See Synonyms at happy.
2. Occurring by chance; fortuitous.
3. Believed to bring good luck: hoped to draw a lucky number.

To me Lucky is like finding a $20 bill on the sidewalk... your eyes bulge out of your head and you immediately fall on it feigning a stroke and then jam the bill in your pocket and carry on, perhaps stopping to get some ice for the new goose egg on your fore head. I have a little bit of a chip on my shoulder with the world lucky, but being a spiritual man (in terms of omens and jinxes) i don't want to appear on the wrong side of the fence when the great decision makers decide to exercise their wrath.

I should write a song about lucky... like the hockey player that puts on a hard fore check and the puck pops up in the crease for them to "bang one home" and the guy who never bothered to fore check once in his life calls the other player lucky... but the guy who scored the goal doesn't give a shit what you call it as long as the red light goes on.

I guess if somebody calls you lucky it means you are living the good life, so don't go changing, and if you detect a little sense of bitterness in the one calling you lucky just remember that that is something that that person has to live with.

in the end it's all just memories:
digital ones at that
what can i say? I'm just a wishing machine.



Last show of the year

we have C-dub from Calgary and Super Robertson from Vancouver as far as i know but things at the SRSS are subject to change... maybe i"ll get lucky and have a band tomorrow, or maybe I'll get lucky and have a chance to run over a few more complicated numbers as a solo artist.

Happy Holiday folks... and don't go changin', I won't.

SR

BTW i Noticed that some guy named Super Robinson is on some poster for the show tomorrow... quick tip from a borderline illiterate OK.  There is this thing called Google Search... you can find who you need there... and then you can copy and paste the name of the person and then put it on your poster... It's amazing... you're going to love it!  And ladies and Gentlemen that's why you tune in to the SRSS blog... you get real advice for this real world.

No comments: